Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review: Silver Smoke, Star Of Night by Jill Tracy

It is November. Normally, I have a rule that says I musn't listen to Christmas songs before the beginning of December. This year, there is an exception to the rule in the form of the glorious Silver Smoke, Star Of Night from dark cabaret queen Jill Tracy.

Where to start with this album? Imagine some of the best classic Christmas carols then mix them with Jill Tracy's beautiful voice and gorgeous piano work. There's some tracks on here that immediately lend themselves for a dark interpretation - take O Come O Come Emmanuel and the Coventry Carol, for example, both traditionally quite dark songs. Here, given an added Jill Tracy twist, they somehow gain new meaning.




Then of course there's the delicious instrumental tracks. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is one of my favourite carols and this instrumental version is absolutely scrumptious. Carol Of The Bells also sounds amazing on piano.




While I'm struggling to pick favourites from this album - there are only 8 tracks and I would love more - I don't think I've ever heard such a deliciously dark We Three Kings. Outside of the final two verses ("sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying" etc), I never thought this would lend itself to being so... oddly creepy. And yet, it's still strangely uplifting. Beautiful work.



Thrown in amongst the carols is one of Jill's original songs, Room 19. Though not immediately obvious as a Christmas song, a quick look at the story behind it will reveal why it's on here. Even minus the back story, Room 19 fits in so well on the album that I would've taken it even if it wasn't even remotely to do with Christmas.



Six tracks down. What am I missing? Ah, What Child Is This? A song I'm not at all familiar with, but it sounds brilliant here. Hmmm... not sure what else to say about that one.



Finally, the album closes with a beautiful instrumental version of In The Bleak Midwinter. And I mean beautiful. I love this song. Gorgeously soft piano really suits this carol, although I would love to hear what it sounds like with vocals.



That's your lot then. Just over half an hour of gorgeously dark, beautifully haunting Christmas songs. If it doesn't already feel like winter, I suggest curling up with this album for a few hours. Go on. Indulge.

The album is available HERE as a download or CD with beautiful artwork by Trista Musco and portaits by Audrey Penven. And just because my copy arrived a couple of days ago: LOOK HOW PRETTY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment