Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bands/artists I despise: Brokencyde

Bahaha, I had a brainwave for a new post, finally, after a whole day of thinking, "hey maybe I should write a new post?" So, yes, bands or artists I despise. It takes a lot to make me truly hate a band. Most of the time I either like them or I don't and am just generally indifferent to them after that. But some bands and artists... I don't know, they kinda make my skin crawl. Brokencyde is one of them. And no I'm not going to humour their pretentious typesetting. BrokeNCYDE? Seriously?

Obviously, hating them for their typesetting would be immature. I have much better reasons. The fact that they are an abomination of the music world is a rather strong one. Don't believe me? Have a listen. And while you're at it, feel free to watch and cringe. That's if you don't stop the track within the first minute because it's just SO BAD. I'm sure they think they're cool and experimental and edgy, but no. No. It's just heinously bad music.

They classify as crunkcore, generally. I have no problem with crunkcore. Breathe Carolina are kinda crunkcore, as are Family Force 5. I love FF5 and I kinda like Breathe Carolina, so it's obviously not the genre that's the problem. So, let's look at the specifics.

The lyrics are unimaginative, juvenile and in some cases awfully misogynistic. It makes me cringe. And then there's the actual vocals. Now, the whole Autotune/scream contrast is something I know from Attack Attack! and I like it in Attack Attack! But here... the screams are weak and the whole thing would sound better without them. Admittedly, it'd still sound like absolute bollocks, but it'd be a slight improvement.

Then there's the image. This whole scenester thing. Again, I have no problem with scene kids (scenies are a different matter, but they're not the same thing). The issue I have with Brokencyde is that they just seem to be trying too hard to be cool and edgy and badass. "I know, let's have alcohol and smoking in our video! That'll be sooo cool!" Yeah, dude, obviously. It doesn't make you look like an idiot at all.

What really irritates me is that people actual like this shit. Really, really like it and think it's good music. Now, I could see it as a guilty pleasure or maybe if you thought these guys were just in it for the fun (which is possibly true, but that doesn't excuse the awful music). But actually thinking it's good music? There has to be something wrong with you if you think that. I found this comment from a guy on last.fm who likes Brokencyde on Escape The Fate's page, regarding ETF's new album:

"not enuff br00t4l hxC Brekdoiwnz!"

I was rather tempted to reply with: "You listen to Brokencyde and a bunch of other bands with no concept of breakdowns, what would you know?" But I worried that a) I would be mauled and b) the correct English might confuse him. I also wanted to point out to him that ETF have never been big on the breakdowns anyway. Ah well. On the subject of why people actually like Brokencyde and their atrocious music, Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low provided one idea in an interview with MTV last year:

"There used to be that whole mentality of ... it had to be 100 percent genuine, or no one would take it seriously. But that whole line has been blurred now," he said. "The same kids listening to Fall Out Boy — who came out of that cred scene, almost — [are the same kids] listening to the Jonas Brothers, and that's acceptable. So the whole line is being crossed. You have all these kids coming up on Disney pop who then discover bands like BrokeNCYDE, and they're like, 'Oh my God, they said f---!,' and they fall in love instantly, because it's their version of '80s punk." 

And you know what, it does actually make sense. Horrible, but logical sense. And at that I will leave this before it turns into a rant and not a coherent semi-argument. Feel free to tell me you like Brokencyde. I may inwardly pity your abysmal taste in music, but it'd make for an interesting discussion.

Assorted Brokencyde links: (hey, I've got to be fair)
Myspace
Last.fm
Official Site

No comments:

Post a Comment