Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Randomness: Super City

Prepare for ranting. Seriously, if you're not interested in my ranting, leave now before you feel the need to batter me round the head. Onwards, folks.

Oh dear fucking god. Do people seriously have such limited taste in music? Not so much limited as narrow. I thought eclectic taste in music was becoming more of the norm now, but McFly's Super City is rapidly persuading me otherwise. I've been toddling around the site for a little over 2 days now and all I keep seeing on other members' "My Music" sections is McFly (understandably), Jonas Brothers, Avril Lavigne, Rihanna, Kate Nash, Lily Allen, Demi Lovato, JLS and other such generic pop acts. I've found maybe two or three people with more alternative leaning tastes. Now, let's think, there's probably about 20,000 profiles on the site now. I've probably seen about 100 in the last couple of days from my mad profile hopping. I'm hoping I've just been missing the people with interesting taste in music. Oh, how I'm hoping.

Now, the 13-16 year olds, I can sort of understand. For some reason, it makes vague sense for teenagers to be into pop. Don't ask me why, it's just the normal state of being. But I'm seeing people my age who like Jonas Brothers. Someone please tell me what the appeal is? Then again, this is coming from a life-long McFly fan, but at least McFly have got a bit more oomph (well, did have up until the new album). I'm not saying everyone should be into alternative and rock and all that jazz, but neither should people be living off the charts. I like pop (some of it) but don't you sometimes want music with just a bit more meaning? Anyone?

Ugh. I'm not entirely sure why this is irritating me so much. I've always been a firm believer in letting people listen to whatever the hell they want. It's probably the lack of variety. Variety is the spice of life, after all. I'll just have to quietly start linking people to awesome music. Starting with Emilie Autumn, because everyone needs a little EA in their lives.

Now, if you'll excuse me and my ranting, I'm going to put Earthtone9's Inside Embers Glow on too loud and cry into my cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment