Sunday, October 31, 2010

Band of the Week: Cancer Bats

I picked Cancer Bats this week largely because I've got Hail Destroyer permanently stuck in my head at the minute. It's an awesome song. Unfortunately it's also one of the few songs I actually know by Cancer Bats. Since I tend to think you can't really love a band if you only know one or two songs, I feel the need to justify why I love Cancer Bats so much. Hmmm...
Reason 1: it's simply amazing music. Kinda, hardcore, punky, metal influenced amazingness. Hail Destroyer is perfect for letting loose at the world for a few minutes. Or an hour or so if you stick it on repeat... which I totally didn't do just to wind my housemate up...

Reason 2: They're even more amazing live. They were main support when I saw Billy Talent last year and it was so totally epic. I wasn't really expecting to like them, given that I'd only just started listening to more post-hardcore, metal and stuff. I checked them out before hand and wasn't over-keen. But dear god, so awesome live. OK, so I couldn't understand a word Liam Cormier was singing/yelling, but the pure energy of the performance was easily enough to make up for that. Plus, I swear he was totally wasted. Drunk Canadian = hilarity. He kept telling the crowd "We're the motherfucking Cancer Bats", doing another song and then saying it again, like he'd forgotten. I was in half a mind to shout back, "yeah, we know, you already told us about 5 times." Amazing gig.

Reason 3: ... I don't think I have a reason 3. Oh, they covered Beastie Boys' Sabotage, that's  pretty good reason. Great cover, plus the video's pretty cool. By cool read: silly.

I give up on finding reasons. Cancer Bats are simply amazing. Seriously, check 'em out and if you ever get the chance to see 'em live, TAKE IT. Think that's all. Check 'em out, tell me what you think and pass it on.ba

No comments:

Post a Comment