Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Randomness: My Immortal Mondays

I couldn't resist writing a little something about this. Anyone who's ever read fan-fiction has probably heard of the infamous "My Immortal" written by one Tara Gilesbie. For anyone who hasn't heard of it (lucky sods) it is widely regarded as possibly the worst fan-fiction ever written. It's (loosely) based on the Harry Potter series, but aside from using names and some places, there's basically no similarity between the two. Nothing is in canon with the original series and the spelling (or rather lack of it) is basically a massacre of the English language. Along with the regular descriptions of the main character's clothes, name dropping of "goffik" bands (including, bizarrely, Linkin Park, Good Charlotte and Simple Plan) and the author's notes which normally consist of "Stup flmaming teh srtoy, prepz", there is also that most heinous of crimes - blatant self-insertion of the author as the main character. Oh, yes, the dreaded Ebony/Enoby Dark'ness Dementia Way.

However atrocious the actual (lack of) plot, spelling and complete un-gothicness may be, My Immortal makes for a rather entertaining read. Took me a few attempts to get past the first chapter because I kept wanting to throttle the person behind such an appalling abuse of the English language. Give it a go - you'll see what I mean: http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/. There are many lulz, including a cameo appearance by Marty McFly, swearing Dumbledore and possibly literature's worst (and most hilarious) sex scenes. Best line: "And then............ I fell asleep." You'll understand why that's so funny if you read it and find the context.

Moving on to the actual point of this post. If you don't think you can cope with reading this legendary bit of hilarity, I strongly suggest checking out the dramatic readings people have done. Or even the non-dramatic ones. This brings me to the awesomeness that is Aliento. I came across this guy by accident on youtube and dear god, I'm glad I did. Creator of My Immortal Mondays, in which he reads a few chapters of the story, complete with his own annotations, he's just amazing. Imagine how happy I was when a) I discovered there was a My Immortal drinking game and b) Aliento had played it and posted it. Awesomeness, although I wish he hadn't made himself ill doing it - silly thing. Chapter 12, the chapter used for it, is hilarious as it is. Add in Aliento and then make him drunk and it becomes awesome of epic proportions. Watch it, watch it now. And then check back every Monday for another installment. No drinking since Chapter 12, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

I think that's everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment